Canada Will Favor Refugee Claims From LGBT Russians
BY Jase Peeples
August 13 2013 2:53 PM ET
LGBT Russians hoping to escape persecution in their country can seek asylum in Canada, reports The Globe and Mail.
Chris Alexander, Canada’s immigration minister, said Monday that LGBT people who wished to flee persecution in Russia would have their asylum claim favorably reviewed by the country’s refugee board.
“[Refugee claims] related to this particular issue will of course be looked at very seriously by our very generous system,” Alexander told The Globe and Mail, adding that Russia was restricting fundamental rights of LGBT people with the country’s newly passed gay “propaganda” law.
Canada accepts the claims of LGBT refugees in the same manner as those filed by other persecuted groups such as religious or ethnic minorities because they face persecution from both other citizens and their government, which also does not offer them protection.
Though Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board does not currently track the number of asylum claims based persecution due to sexual orientation, officials say roughly half of the Russians who seek asylum in Canada each year — between 140 and 225 people — are accepted.
Under Russia’s new antigay legislation, individuals who break the law by holding LGBT Pride events or providing information to minors about LGBT issues would face fines of up to 5,000 rubles ($156), with foreigners facing a jail sentence of 15 days and deportation. Companies and media organizations could be fined up to 1 million rubles ($31,000) and would face suspension of their activities for up to 90 days.
Additionally, a well-known group of Russian neo-Nazis has been luring gay teens in the country with personal ads on gay dating websites, then beating them, humiliating them, and forcing them to come out on video.
Russian authorities have either ignored or condoned the antigay violence.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM