Poll: Youth Support for Marriage Equality, Abortion Rights Offer Republican Stumbling Block
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 29 2013 6:30 AM ET
Further affirming the pro-equality trend over recent years, a new Bloomberg poll confirms that the numbers just don't add up for Republicans who are dead-set on opposing marriage equality and a woman's right to choose.
Bloomberg's poll, which surveyed 1,000 American voters between September 20 and 23, found that 70% of Americans under 30 support the freedom to marry. That's consistent with several other recent polls finding overwhelming support among Milennials for same-sex marriage. Overall, 55% of Americans support marriage equality, while 52% of Republicans oppose it.
A striking 40% of Republicans surveyed said state legislatures should keep pushing for laws that restrict access to safe and legal abortions around the country, while just 22% of the American public believes the same, according to Bloomberg's poll.
"The math isn't working to Republicans' favor," said J. Ann Selzer, president of the firm that conducted the Bloomberg poll.
A March report from the Republican National Committee acknowledged that the party needed to improve its image and become more "welcoming" and "inclusive" if it hopes to win future elections.
Read more about Bloomberg's survey here.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM