Kelly Clarkson Likely to Vote for Obama Because of Gay Issues
BY Trudy Ring
October 22 2012 1:25 PM ET
Kelly Clarkson says that despite being “a Republican at heart,” she’s likely voting for President Obama, largely because of his stance on marriage equality.
“I can’t support Romney’s policies as I have a lot of gay friends and I don’t think it’s fair they can’t get married,” Clarkson told the U.K.’s Daily Star last week as she prepared to close her concert tour in London. She noted that she has “been reading online about the debates and I’m probably going to vote for Obama again, even though I’m a Republican at heart.”
She added that she’s attracted to the president’s policies on women’s issues as well. “I’m not a hardcore feminist but we can’t be going back to the ’50s,” she said. “Obama is a great guy. I’ve met him and I’m a fan of Michelle too. She has been busy promoting better education and healthy diets, which is something we could all use a dose of reality on.”
During the primary season, Clarkson had supported Texas congressman Ron Paul for the Republican nomination, but she backtracked a bit after learning about some controversies surrounding him.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Fergie: Labels and Love
- Faking It's Michael J. Willett Is the Teen Heartthrob We've Been Waiting For
- Louisiana Judge Strikes Down State's Marriage Ban