Kelly Clarkson Likely to Vote for Obama Because of Gay Issues
BY Trudy Ring
October 22 2012 1:25 PM ET
Kelly Clarkson says that despite being “a Republican at heart,” she’s likely voting for President Obama, largely because of his stance on marriage equality.
“I can’t support Romney’s policies as I have a lot of gay friends and I don’t think it’s fair they can’t get married,” Clarkson told the U.K.’s Daily Star last week as she prepared to close her concert tour in London. She noted that she has “been reading online about the debates and I’m probably going to vote for Obama again, even though I’m a Republican at heart.”
She added that she’s attracted to the president’s policies on women’s issues as well. “I’m not a hardcore feminist but we can’t be going back to the ’50s,” she said. “Obama is a great guy. I’ve met him and I’m a fan of Michelle too. She has been busy promoting better education and healthy diets, which is something we could all use a dose of reality on.”
During the primary season, Clarkson had supported Texas congressman Ron Paul for the Republican nomination, but she backtracked a bit after learning about some controversies surrounding him.
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 1 hour 43 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM