Kelly Clarkson Likely to Vote for Obama Because of Gay Issues
BY Trudy Ring
October 22 2012 12:25 PM ET
Kelly Clarkson says that despite being “a Republican at heart,” she’s likely voting for President Obama, largely because of his stance on marriage equality.
“I can’t support Romney’s policies as I have a lot of gay friends and I don’t think it’s fair they can’t get married,” Clarkson told the U.K.’s Daily Star last week as she prepared to close her concert tour in London. She noted that she has “been reading online about the debates and I’m probably going to vote for Obama again, even though I’m a Republican at heart.”
She added that she’s attracted to the president’s policies on women’s issues as well. “I’m not a hardcore feminist but we can’t be going back to the ’50s,” she said. “Obama is a great guy. I’ve met him and I’m a fan of Michelle too. She has been busy promoting better education and healthy diets, which is something we could all use a dose of reality on.”
During the primary season, Clarkson had supported Texas congressman Ron Paul for the Republican nomination, but she backtracked a bit after learning about some controversies surrounding him.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM