Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 5:00 AM ET
Janice Daniels, Mayor of Troy, Michigan
The mayor of Troy, who first landed in hot water for antigay comments made on Facebook, has been ousted by voters who were sick of her bumbling.
Before Janice Daniels was elected mayor, she made headlines by responding to New York State enacting marriage equality in June by saying on Facebook, "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there." Then once in office, during a discussion at Troy High School about establishing a bullying and suicide prevention forum, Mayor Daniels said she wanted to invite "a panel of psychologists who would testify that homosexuality is a mental disease," according to one of the leaders of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance that was organizing the event.
The Detroit Free Press reports that the recall passed by 52% to 48% — and that Daniels blames the media for her defeat.
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 12 min 29 sec ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 17 min 56 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 1 hour 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 1 hour 16 min ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 1 hour 37 min ago
- Military Hagel: Full National Guard To Recognize Gay Couples 2 hours 10 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 12:00 PM