Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 6:00 AM ET
Janice Daniels, Mayor of Troy, Michigan
The mayor of Troy, who first landed in hot water for antigay comments made on Facebook, has been ousted by voters who were sick of her bumbling.
Before Janice Daniels was elected mayor, she made headlines by responding to New York State enacting marriage equality in June by saying on Facebook, "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there." Then once in office, during a discussion at Troy High School about establishing a bullying and suicide prevention forum, Mayor Daniels said she wanted to invite "a panel of psychologists who would testify that homosexuality is a mental disease," according to one of the leaders of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance that was organizing the event.
The Detroit Free Press reports that the recall passed by 52% to 48% — and that Daniels blames the media for her defeat.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 31 min 22 sec ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 56 min 54 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM
- Music Gay Singer-Songwriter Deals with Heartbreak 2:52 PM
- Politics Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term 2:52 PM
- Theater New Play Criticizes Gay Minstrel Roles 2:43 PM