Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 5:00 AM ET
Janice Daniels, Mayor of Troy, Michigan
The mayor of Troy, who first landed in hot water for antigay comments made on Facebook, has been ousted by voters who were sick of her bumbling.
Before Janice Daniels was elected mayor, she made headlines by responding to New York State enacting marriage equality in June by saying on Facebook, "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there." Then once in office, during a discussion at Troy High School about establishing a bullying and suicide prevention forum, Mayor Daniels said she wanted to invite "a panel of psychologists who would testify that homosexuality is a mental disease," according to one of the leaders of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance that was organizing the event.
The Detroit Free Press reports that the recall passed by 52% to 48% — and that Daniels blames the media for her defeat.
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet