Antigay Watch List: Why Do Voters Love Our Villains?
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2012 5:00 AM ET
Janice Daniels, Mayor of Troy, Michigan
The mayor of Troy, who first landed in hot water for antigay comments made on Facebook, has been ousted by voters who were sick of her bumbling.
Before Janice Daniels was elected mayor, she made headlines by responding to New York State enacting marriage equality in June by saying on Facebook, "I think I'm going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there." Then once in office, during a discussion at Troy High School about establishing a bullying and suicide prevention forum, Mayor Daniels said she wanted to invite "a panel of psychologists who would testify that homosexuality is a mental disease," according to one of the leaders of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance that was organizing the event.
The Detroit Free Press reports that the recall passed by 52% to 48% — and that Daniels blames the media for her defeat.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6