11 Democratic Chairs Urge Party for Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
May 03 2012 5:13 PM ET
The leaders join a growing group of Democratic figures who are urging the Democratic National Committee to approve a platform that includes an endorsement of marriage equality. The campaign by Freedom To Marry also includes supporters like Los Angeles Mayor and convention chairman Antonio Villaraigosa, and several co-chairs of President Obama's re-election campaign.
"In Texas we love all our families,” said Texas Democratic Party Chairman Boyd Richie. “We know to build a strong Democratic party and a strong Texas we must honor the core principles of our party and champion the full human rights of every citizen.”
New York chairman Jay Jacobs touted his state legalizing marriage equality last year. "We now see first-hand how marriage improves the lives of gay couples and their families, and strengthens businesses and communities throughout the Empire State," he added. "Marriage equality is simply the right thing to do, and that's why I strongly believe that the Democratic Party should stand united for a freedom to marry plank in our national Democratic Party platform."
The state chairs are:
- John Burton, California
- Joan Wagnon, Kansas
- John Walsh, Massachusetts
- Ken Martin, Minnesota
- Jon Wisniewski, New Jersey
- Jay Jacobs, New York
- Meredith Wood Smith, Oregon
- Boyd Richie, Texas
- Jake Perkinson, Vermont
- Dwight Pelz, Washington
- Mike Tate, Wisconsin
Tags: Marriage Equality
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality
- Have We Got Matthew Shepard All Wrong?
- Op-ed: 22 Reasons Queer History Is Important