Pro Wrestler Apologizes for Angry Anti-Amendment One Tweets
BY Michelle Garcia
May 08 2012 2:22 PM ET
Professional wrestler CM Punk has issued an apology for telling an antigay fan to kill himself after a heated argument over Amendment One in North Carolina.
CM Punk wrote in support of marriage equality on Twitter Monday, calling Amendment One "ridiculous" and "an invasion of people's rights." He added, "North Carolina, why do you care if somebody wants to marry who they love? Same sex marriage should be legal. The fact that it's illegal is embarrassing."
According to the Bleacher Report, a fan countered by saying, "Man was meant for woman, and even the thought of homo's [sic] make me sick." CM Punk retweeted the message and added, "Kill yourself." He told another Twitter user who disagreed with him to "drink bleach," according to 24 Wrestling.
After Monday Night Raw, the wrestler apologized publicly and sent apologetic messages directly to the recipients of his ire. "I don't want you to kill yourself," he wrote. "I want you to better yourself. Just as I want to better myself."
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure
- Op-ed: 5 Reasons Men's Health Needs a Trans Man On The Cover
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date