Pro Wrestler Apologizes for Angry Anti-Amendment One Tweets
BY Michelle Garcia
May 08 2012 2:22 PM ET
Professional wrestler CM Punk has issued an apology for telling an antigay fan to kill himself after a heated argument over Amendment One in North Carolina.
CM Punk wrote in support of marriage equality on Twitter Monday, calling Amendment One "ridiculous" and "an invasion of people's rights." He added, "North Carolina, why do you care if somebody wants to marry who they love? Same sex marriage should be legal. The fact that it's illegal is embarrassing."
According to the Bleacher Report, a fan countered by saying, "Man was meant for woman, and even the thought of homo's [sic] make me sick." CM Punk retweeted the message and added, "Kill yourself." He told another Twitter user who disagreed with him to "drink bleach," according to 24 Wrestling.
After Monday Night Raw, the wrestler apologized publicly and sent apologetic messages directly to the recipients of his ire. "I don't want you to kill yourself," he wrote. "I want you to better yourself. Just as I want to better myself."
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win
- Ireland Votes Yes, Becomes First Nation in World to Approve Marriage Equality
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- PHOTOS: Let's Take a Long Look at Long Beach Pride