Pro Wrestler Apologizes for Angry Anti-Amendment One Tweets
BY Michelle Garcia
May 08 2012 2:22 PM ET
Professional wrestler CM Punk has issued an apology for telling an antigay fan to kill himself after a heated argument over Amendment One in North Carolina.
CM Punk wrote in support of marriage equality on Twitter Monday, calling Amendment One "ridiculous" and "an invasion of people's rights." He added, "North Carolina, why do you care if somebody wants to marry who they love? Same sex marriage should be legal. The fact that it's illegal is embarrassing."
According to the Bleacher Report, a fan countered by saying, "Man was meant for woman, and even the thought of homo's [sic] make me sick." CM Punk retweeted the message and added, "Kill yourself." He told another Twitter user who disagreed with him to "drink bleach," according to 24 Wrestling.
After Monday Night Raw, the wrestler apologized publicly and sent apologetic messages directly to the recipients of his ire. "I don't want you to kill yourself," he wrote. "I want you to better yourself. Just as I want to better myself."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM