Poll: Support for Marriage Equality Hits High Mark
May 23 2012 9:08 AM ET
According to a new ABC News/Washington Post poll, 53% of Americans support marriage rights for same-sex couples — a record high for the survey — while opposition has plummeted to unprecedented lows.
Only 39% of Americans said they opposed marriage equality, according to the poll, released two weeks after President Obama’s announcement that he supports same-sex marriage.
Other significant findings:
-Support for marriage has risen by 17 percentage points in the poll, from 36% in 2006 to 53% today.
-Though the poll had a small sample of African Americans, 59% of those surveyed said they supported same-sex marriage, with 41% opposed.
-Americans are split on how marriage should be legislated: 49% said that states should have authority on the issue, while 46% said that the federal government should make one law. In his announcement, the president maintained that marriage should be left up to individual states.
-55% of those polled said President Obama’s support for marriage equality was not a major factor in supporting or opposing his re-election bid. Twenty percent said the announcement earlier this month was a major reason to support Obama’s candidacy, while 23% said it was a major reason to oppose.
Read more on the new poll via WaPo here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 23 min 16 sec ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 1 hour 19 min ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 1 hour 19 min ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 2 hours 7 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 2 hours 28 min ago