U.K. Group: Marriage Equality Will Mean More Abortions
BY Trudy Ring
August 27 2012 3:42 PM ET
Antigay forces have said marriage equality will have many undesirable consequences, but here’s a new one: A U.K. anti-abortion group says it will lead to an increase in the number of abortions.
The Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, which opposes a proposal to offer the nation’s gay couples marriage rather than the existing civil partnerships, has been circulating a flier that states, “We must protect real marriage because it protects children in the womb. Statistics show that unborn babies are four or five times more likely to be aborted outside real marriage.”
The U.K. website Pink News notes that this argument does not seem to be very well thought out: “A married male couple cannot abort an unborn baby because neither party can carry one. A married female couple would only find themselves with child after a long and carefully considered process, making it highly unlikely they would ever seek an abortion; far less likely than a heterosexual woman in a traditional marriage who had gotten pregnant by accident.”
Jamie Lee Curtis Taete, a reporter for Vice magazine, contacted a representative of SPUC for clarification. The representative said marriage rights for same-sex couples would “redefine marriage” and “make people feel differently towards the institution.” Taete then researched abortion rates in five countries that have had marriage equality for at least five years and found that the rate had increased only in one, Spain. SPUC’s response to the findings was that the data didn’t cover a long enough period to prove anything — even in the Netherlands, where same-sex marriage has been legal for 11 years. Read more here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 25 min 24 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 21 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 23 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM