Boxer Dumps Endorsement for Sen. Brown Over Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 4:52 PM ET
Boxer Micky Ward, famously portrayed in 2010 by Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter, said he cannot support the reelection of U.S. senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts because of his stances on unions and marriage equality.
Ward had initially confirmed to the Sun of Lowell (Mass.) newspaper that he would endorse Brown, after the Brown campaign had hinted at the planned announcement. However, only 30 minutes later, Ward contacted the newspaper to let the staff know he just couldn't support the senator, though he still respects him.
"I found out Scott [Brown] is anti-union, and I'm a Teamster guy," he said. "I found out he's also against gay marriage, and I say if you love someone, you should have the same rights no matter who you are."
Though Brown did become a deciding voter among U.S. Senate Republicans for ending "don't ask, don't tell" in 2010, he was a strong voice against marriage equality as a Massachusetts state senator.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Op-ed: It Doesn't Matter How Many Times Kim Davis Was Wed