Boxer Dumps Endorsement for Sen. Brown Over Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 3:52 PM ET
Boxer Micky Ward, famously portrayed in 2010 by Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter, said he cannot support the reelection of U.S. senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts because of his stances on unions and marriage equality.
Ward had initially confirmed to the Sun of Lowell (Mass.) newspaper that he would endorse Brown, after the Brown campaign had hinted at the planned announcement. However, only 30 minutes later, Ward contacted the newspaper to let the staff know he just couldn't support the senator, though he still respects him.
"I found out Scott [Brown] is anti-union, and I'm a Teamster guy," he said. "I found out he's also against gay marriage, and I say if you love someone, you should have the same rights no matter who you are."
Though Brown did become a deciding voter among U.S. Senate Republicans for ending "don't ask, don't tell" in 2010, he was a strong voice against marriage equality as a Massachusetts state senator.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View