Boxer Dumps Endorsement for Sen. Brown Over Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 4:52 PM ET
Boxer Micky Ward, famously portrayed in 2010 by Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter, said he cannot support the reelection of U.S. senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts because of his stances on unions and marriage equality.
Ward had initially confirmed to the Sun of Lowell (Mass.) newspaper that he would endorse Brown, after the Brown campaign had hinted at the planned announcement. However, only 30 minutes later, Ward contacted the newspaper to let the staff know he just couldn't support the senator, though he still respects him.
"I found out Scott [Brown] is anti-union, and I'm a Teamster guy," he said. "I found out he's also against gay marriage, and I say if you love someone, you should have the same rights no matter who you are."
Though Brown did become a deciding voter among U.S. Senate Republicans for ending "don't ask, don't tell" in 2010, he was a strong voice against marriage equality as a Massachusetts state senator.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM