Boxer Dumps Endorsement for Sen. Brown Over Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
August 31 2012 3:52 PM ET
Boxer Micky Ward, famously portrayed in 2010 by Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter, said he cannot support the reelection of U.S. senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts because of his stances on unions and marriage equality.
Ward had initially confirmed to the Sun of Lowell (Mass.) newspaper that he would endorse Brown, after the Brown campaign had hinted at the planned announcement. However, only 30 minutes later, Ward contacted the newspaper to let the staff know he just couldn't support the senator, though he still respects him.
"I found out Scott [Brown] is anti-union, and I'm a Teamster guy," he said. "I found out he's also against gay marriage, and I say if you love someone, you should have the same rights no matter who you are."
Though Brown did become a deciding voter among U.S. Senate Republicans for ending "don't ask, don't tell" in 2010, he was a strong voice against marriage equality as a Massachusetts state senator.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 31 min 30 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 32 min 55 sec ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 2 hours 33 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM