Supreme Ct. Announces Next Month Whether It's Taking Prop. 8, DOMA Cases
BY Neal Broverman
October 29 2012 12:03 PM ET
The Supreme Court will decide at a private meeting on November 20 whether they will take California's Prop. 8 case, and will announce the fate of marriage equality in the nation's largest state on the Monday following Thanksgiving. At that same November 20 gathering, the nine judges will also decide whether to hear several challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act.
The American Foundation for Equal Rights, the legal advocacy group that spearheaded the successful federal case against the ballot initiative that snatched marriage equality from California, announced on Monday that the justices will hold a private conference on Tuesday, November 20. There the judges will decide whether to hear a plethora of cases, including Hollingsworth v. Perry (the Prop. 8 case formerly known as Perry v. Brown) and numerous challenges to DOMA. It will take a four judge majority to decide whether the high court hears a specific case.
The justices' decisions are expected to be announced on November 26, the Monday following the Thanksgiving holiday.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 36 min 48 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 44 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM