Mexico Supreme Court Strikes Down Marriage Ban
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 05 2012 6:29 PM ET
Mexico's Supreme Court issued a unanimous ruling Wednesday striking down a same-sex marriage ban in the southern state of Oaxaca. Advocates say the language of the decision could open the door for same-sex marriages throughout the nation.
The ruling effectively changes Oaxaca's civil code to state that marriage takes place "between two people," instead of between a man and woman, reports Spanish-language site AnimalPolitico.
The court ruled in favor of three same-sex couples who sued the state of Oaxaca for the right to marry. The ruling does not immediately eliminate marriage bans in other Mexican states, but it does set a legal precedent to begin challenging statewide marriage bans, according to the blog AfterMarriage.
While many Mexican states still have marriage bans on the books, in 2010 the nation's capital, Mexico City, began serving gay and lesbian couples with marriage licenses. Shortly thereafter, the Supreme Court ruled that marriages performed in Mexico City must be recognized by every other state in the country, due to a constitutional clause that requires states to recognize contracts performed in other jurisdictions.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 20 min 25 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 27 min 52 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 34 min ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 35 min 47 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Wanda to Ellen: Look At the Lesbian Falling Off the Pole 39 min 2 sec ago
- Media LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade 46 min 27 sec ago
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 1 hour 19 min ago