Mexico Supreme Court Strikes Down Marriage Ban
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 05 2012 5:29 PM ET
Mexico's Supreme Court issued a unanimous ruling Wednesday striking down a same-sex marriage ban in the southern state of Oaxaca. Advocates say the language of the decision could open the door for same-sex marriages throughout the nation.
The ruling effectively changes Oaxaca's civil code to state that marriage takes place "between two people," instead of between a man and woman, reports Spanish-language site AnimalPolitico.
The court ruled in favor of three same-sex couples who sued the state of Oaxaca for the right to marry. The ruling does not immediately eliminate marriage bans in other Mexican states, but it does set a legal precedent to begin challenging statewide marriage bans, according to the blog AfterMarriage.
While many Mexican states still have marriage bans on the books, in 2010 the nation's capital, Mexico City, began serving gay and lesbian couples with marriage licenses. Shortly thereafter, the Supreme Court ruled that marriages performed in Mexico City must be recognized by every other state in the country, due to a constitutional clause that requires states to recognize contracts performed in other jurisdictions.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 6 min 53 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM