Wyoming Republicans Support Marriage Equality Bill
BY Michelle Garcia
January 15 2013 4:15 PM ET
A Republican lawmaker in Wyoming is pitching in to establish marriage equality in his state.
Rep. Keith Gingery, a Catholic on the state's judiciary committee, is cosponsoring two measures to recognize same-sex relationships either through civil unions or marriage, according to the Jackson Hole Daily. Rep. Ruth Ann Petroff, another Republican, has also expressed support for Laramie Democrat Cathy Connolly's marriage bill.
"The population of gay couples in the state is increasing, and the law is not very clear about what rights they have," Gingery said.
Connolly has brought similar bills to the legislature with little success. This bill would change the state's definition of marriage to be a "civil contract between two natural persons." Current law designates marriage for only a male-female couple.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- 40 Under 40: Emerging Voices | Advocate.com
- Writers Lena Waithe & Justin Simien Show Hollywood It’s More Than Just Black & White