Wyoming Republicans Support Marriage Equality Bill
BY Michelle Garcia
January 15 2013 4:15 PM ET
A Republican lawmaker in Wyoming is pitching in to establish marriage equality in his state.
Rep. Keith Gingery, a Catholic on the state's judiciary committee, is cosponsoring two measures to recognize same-sex relationships either through civil unions or marriage, according to the Jackson Hole Daily. Rep. Ruth Ann Petroff, another Republican, has also expressed support for Laramie Democrat Cathy Connolly's marriage bill.
"The population of gay couples in the state is increasing, and the law is not very clear about what rights they have," Gingery said.
Connolly has brought similar bills to the legislature with little success. This bill would change the state's definition of marriage to be a "civil contract between two natural persons." Current law designates marriage for only a male-female couple.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 24 min 26 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 36 min 59 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 50 min 37 sec ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former Catholic School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 50 min 42 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 52 min 8 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 1 hour 3 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 1 hour 18 min ago