Wyoming Republicans Support Marriage Equality Bill
BY Michelle Garcia
January 15 2013 3:15 PM ET
A Republican lawmaker in Wyoming is pitching in to establish marriage equality in his state.
Rep. Keith Gingery, a Catholic on the state's judiciary committee, is cosponsoring two measures to recognize same-sex relationships either through civil unions or marriage, according to the Jackson Hole Daily. Rep. Ruth Ann Petroff, another Republican, has also expressed support for Laramie Democrat Cathy Connolly's marriage bill.
"The population of gay couples in the state is increasing, and the law is not very clear about what rights they have," Gingery said.
Connolly has brought similar bills to the legislature with little success. This bill would change the state's definition of marriage to be a "civil contract between two natural persons." Current law designates marriage for only a male-female couple.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 25 min 47 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 26 min 40 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 42 min 28 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM