Wyoming Republicans Support Marriage Equality Bill
BY Michelle Garcia
January 15 2013 4:15 PM ET
A Republican lawmaker in Wyoming is pitching in to establish marriage equality in his state.
Rep. Keith Gingery, a Catholic on the state's judiciary committee, is cosponsoring two measures to recognize same-sex relationships either through civil unions or marriage, according to the Jackson Hole Daily. Rep. Ruth Ann Petroff, another Republican, has also expressed support for Laramie Democrat Cathy Connolly's marriage bill.
"The population of gay couples in the state is increasing, and the law is not very clear about what rights they have," Gingery said.
Connolly has brought similar bills to the legislature with little success. This bill would change the state's definition of marriage to be a "civil contract between two natural persons." Current law designates marriage for only a male-female couple.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM