Wyoming Republicans Support Marriage Equality Bill
BY Michelle Garcia
January 15 2013 4:15 PM ET
A Republican lawmaker in Wyoming is pitching in to establish marriage equality in his state.
Rep. Keith Gingery, a Catholic on the state's judiciary committee, is cosponsoring two measures to recognize same-sex relationships either through civil unions or marriage, according to the Jackson Hole Daily. Rep. Ruth Ann Petroff, another Republican, has also expressed support for Laramie Democrat Cathy Connolly's marriage bill.
"The population of gay couples in the state is increasing, and the law is not very clear about what rights they have," Gingery said.
Connolly has brought similar bills to the legislature with little success. This bill would change the state's definition of marriage to be a "civil contract between two natural persons." Current law designates marriage for only a male-female couple.
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 1 hour 24 min ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM