Lesbian Couple Tries to Marry in Thailand's Town of Love
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2013 1:05 PM ET
An adorable lesbian couple in Thailand joined thousands of couples across the globe who tried to get married on Valentine's Day. According to Coconuts Bangkok, Pallawee Jongtangsajjatham and Rungtiwa Tangkanopak were one of many couples that went to the Bang Rak District to get a marriage certificate on V-day but officials turned them away, saying same-sex marriage wasn't legal in the country.
The two women told the Daily News that they will file a complaint with the House of Representatives and will meet with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to discuss marriage equality.
“The Prime Minister should understand the issue as she shares the same sex with us,” Jongtangsajjatham told the Daily News.
Coconuts Bangkok reports that the Bang Rak District office is the most popular place for couples to register their marriage in the country because "Bang Rak" translates to “Town of Love” in Thai.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 13 min 11 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 3 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 59 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 13 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 2 hours 13 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 2 hours 14 min ago