WATCH: John Boehner 'Can't Imagine' He Would Ever Support Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 16 2013 12:46 PM ET
Just days after Republican Sen. Rob Portman announced that he has a gay son, and as such, is reversing his opposition to marriage equality, House Speaker John Boehner said he couldn't imagine a situation where his views were similarly changed.
When ABC's Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz asked the the Republican Speaker if he could imagine a scenario like Portman's where someone Boehner loved came out as gay, the Speaker was stoic.
"I believe that marriage is the union of one man and one woman," said Boehner repeatedly. "It's what I grew up with, it's what I believe, it's what my church teaches me. And I can't imagine that position would ever change."
The full interview will air Sunday on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopolous. Watch the clip below.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People