WATCH: John Boehner 'Can't Imagine' He Would Ever Support Marriage Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 16 2013 12:46 PM ET
Just days after Republican Sen. Rob Portman announced that he has a gay son, and as such, is reversing his opposition to marriage equality, House Speaker John Boehner said he couldn't imagine a situation where his views were similarly changed.
When ABC's Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz asked the the Republican Speaker if he could imagine a scenario like Portman's where someone Boehner loved came out as gay, the Speaker was stoic.
"I believe that marriage is the union of one man and one woman," said Boehner repeatedly. "It's what I grew up with, it's what I believe, it's what my church teaches me. And I can't imagine that position would ever change."
The full interview will air Sunday on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopolous. Watch the clip below.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 23 min 34 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 5 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM