WATCH: Military Widow Optimistic DOMA Will Be Struck Down
BY Trudy Ring
March 27 2013 1:50 PM ET
Karen Morgan, a military widow who has been denied benefits because of the Defense of Marriage Act, today said she is optimistic that DOMA will be overturned.
“I’m optimistic and hopeful that the Supreme Court will find that DOMA is unconstitutional,” Morgan told MSNBC’s Thomas Roberts this morning.
Morgan’s wife, New Hampshire National Guard member Charlie Morgan, died of breast cancer in February, a day before then–Defense secretary Leon Panetta extended certain benefits to same-sex spouses of military members. The benefits could not be applied posthumously, however, and Panetta’s order did not apply to Social Security and some other benefits, which are administered by other federal government departments. Karen Morgan has been turned down for Social Security widow’s benefits because of DOMA.
However DOMA affects her, however, the fight to overturn it leaves an important legacy for future generations, including the couple’s 5-year-old daughter, Casey, she said.
“One of the beautiful things that I have noticed and remarked upon in the past is that Casey is not aware of discrimination,” Morgan told Roberts. “She does not understand it. She does not have the language to describe it and that’s the case of a lot of kids her age.”
Watch video of the interview below.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise?
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 1 hour 33 min ago
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 1 hour 40 min ago
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 1 hour 44 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 1 hour 54 min ago
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 1 hour 59 min ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional UPDATED: 2 hours 4 min ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 3:16 PM