WATCH: Military Widow Optimistic DOMA Will Be Struck Down
BY Trudy Ring
March 27 2013 2:50 PM ET
Karen Morgan, a military widow who has been denied benefits because of the Defense of Marriage Act, today said she is optimistic that DOMA will be overturned.
“I’m optimistic and hopeful that the Supreme Court will find that DOMA is unconstitutional,” Morgan told MSNBC’s Thomas Roberts this morning.
Morgan’s wife, New Hampshire National Guard member Charlie Morgan, died of breast cancer in February, a day before then–Defense secretary Leon Panetta extended certain benefits to same-sex spouses of military members. The benefits could not be applied posthumously, however, and Panetta’s order did not apply to Social Security and some other benefits, which are administered by other federal government departments. Karen Morgan has been turned down for Social Security widow’s benefits because of DOMA.
However DOMA affects her, however, the fight to overturn it leaves an important legacy for future generations, including the couple’s 5-year-old daughter, Casey, she said.
“One of the beautiful things that I have noticed and remarked upon in the past is that Casey is not aware of discrimination,” Morgan told Roberts. “She does not understand it. She does not have the language to describe it and that’s the case of a lot of kids her age.”
Watch video of the interview below.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 7 min 40 sec ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 1 hour 18 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2 hours 21 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 2 hours 39 min ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to A Child Coming Out 2 hours 53 min ago