Ninth Circuit Dismisses Appeal in Golinski DOMA Case
BY Jase Peeples
July 24 2013 11:42 AM ET
The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed the appeal of a federal district court ruling in the case of Golinski v. U.S. Office of Personnel Management yesterday, citing the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling which struck down Section 3 of the so-called-Defense of Marriage Act, reports Lambda Legal.
The challenge was brought by Lambda Legal and law firm Morrison & Foerster on behalf of Karen Golinski, a federal court employee who was denied family health coverage for her spouse, Amy Cunninghis.
“What a wonderful day for Karen, her spouse, Amy Cunninghis, and their family,” Lambda Legal Staff Attorney Tara Borelli said in a statement. “While we knew this order was coming after the historic Supreme Court ruling last month, it is nonetheless a huge relief for Karen to know that, after a long battle that began five years ago, her relationship is respected by the federal government, and her family is protected. This order is the icing on the cake, and we at Lambda Legal could not be more delighted.”
Read the full order of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals here.
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 50 min 17 sec ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 1 hour 49 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 2 hours 49 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM