Group Holds Launch Rally For New Jersey Marriage Equality
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 25 2013 8:18 PM ET
A group advocating for marriage equality in New Jersey held its launch rally this week in Asbury Park, attracting around 200 people with rainbow-colored signs to support their cause.
New Jersey United for Marriage, announced its campaign to support “the lifetime promise of love, commitment, and responsibility for all New Jersey residents,” according to a recent press release. The group is seeking to pressure state lawmakers to override Gov. Chris Christie’s veto of the Marriage Equality and Religious Exemptions Act, which passed both the state senate and assembly in 2012.
The group was joined by its partners Lambda Legal, the Human Rights Campaign, Freedom to Marry, Gill Action Fund, American Unity Fund, the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey, and Garden State Equality.
“Today’s announcement is a game-changer," said Troy Stevenson, executive director of Garden State Equality. "Over the past decade, Garden State Equality has moved public opinion from minority to majority support for marriage. With over 60 percent of New Jerseyans supporting marriage equality, we are in the last leg of a marathon race and are inviting everyone to run the last mile with us.”
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 28 min 14 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 5 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 10 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM