Congressman Sean Patrick Maloney Marries His Partner of 22 Years
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 22 2014 11:33 AM ET
It’s official for New York congressman Sean Patrick Maloney. This weekend he married his partner of 22 years, Randy Gene Florke, at the Church of St. Mary-in-the-Highlands in Cold Spring, New York, according to CBS New York.
Representative Maloney, 47, and Florke, 51, have already been together 22 years, but decided to tie the knot in December after their 11-year-old daughter Essie asked Santa to make her dads get married. All three of their children — including 24-year-old Reinel and 13-year-old Daley — were in attendance.
Maloney is New York’s first out gay member of Congress and now one of only two Congress people married to a person of the same sex.
Several notables tweeted out congratulations, including New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a champion of marriage equality in the state.
The couple don't have time for a honeymoon, though: Maloney is in a primary election on Tuesday against former Republican Rep. Nan Hayworth. He told USA Today that he was dancing between the raindrops — squeezing in a wedding between that primary election and a short trip to Afghanistan with other politicos.
"There's real work to do and I don't plan to stop doing that work because there are other important events in my life," he told USA Today. "I pride myself on being able to prioritize my family and my children, but also do the work I was hired to do.''
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God