Romney Tells Gay Conservatives to Drop Dead, Says GoProud
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 12 2012 12:06 PM ET
After the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, spoke at Liberty University today, JimmyLaSalvia, executive director and cofounder of GOProud (a national organization of gay-friendly conservatives) took him to task, saying that Romney's message to Goldwater conservatives is clearly "Drop dead."
Liberty University was founded by the late Jerry Falwell, who in 2007 said, â€śAIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals. To oppose it would be like an Israelite jumping in the Red Sea to save one of Pharaoh's charioteers ... AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals.â€ť The university has been at the heart of many recent skirmishes over antigay ideology, and Romney's speech there comes just days after his his advisers said the presidential candidate would make his disdain for marriage equality a major issue in the campaign.
â€śThe father of the modern conservative movement, former U.S. senator Barry Goldwater, once said of Jerry Falwell that he needed a kick in the ass," said LaSalvia. "With his speech at Falwellâ€™s Liberty University, it is clear that Governor Romneyâ€™s message to Goldwater conservatives is: drop dead. Many on our board and among our grassroots supporters have long had reservations about Governor Romneyâ€™s record â€“ particularly when it comes to issues of importance to conservatives. Issues like fundamental tax reform, healthcare reform, and entitlement reform. As an organization that was born amidst the energy and enthusiasm of the early days of the Tea Party movement, many in our organization are concerned about how seriously Governor Romney will take cutting the size and scope of government, about his commitment to federalism and about whether or not he will dramatically cut federal spending."
LaSalvia argues that while the organization remains committed to defeating President Barack Obama, "If Romney expects to be the candidate who can beat Obama in November then he needs to embrace a strategy that makes victory possible â€“ falling into the culture war trap laid by Obama is a guaranteed electoral loser."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because Weâ€™re Gay? 16 min 57 sec ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 51 min 7 sec ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM