Arizona Lawmaker Says Opponent Called Him Bisexual, Wants an Apology
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 08 2012 11:16 AM ET
Arizona's Republican Representative Ben Quayle is mighty upset this week, telling reporters that a mailer from his (also Republican) opponent, Rep. David Schweikert, for insinuating he is bisexual. The mailer, which went out last week, says that Quayle is a politician who "goes both ways." Schweikert says it was meant to refer to Quayle's flip flopping on issues, according to TheHill.com.
"The mail piece was clearly intended to say 'both ways' â€” taking the liberal and conservative side on issues," Schweikert campaign spokesman Chris Baker told The Hill.
Quayle spokeswoman Anna Haberlein told the Tucson Citizen the insinuation of sexual orientation was really a "sleazy smear tactic." Quayle is demanding an apology, and his campaign also released a statement from Arizona Senator Jon Kyl who the flyer was an example of the worst in American politics.
"It not only misrepresents Ben Quayleâ€™s positions on important issues, it includes what can only be described as the strangest of allusions to sexuality that have no place in a political debate. Such campaign tactics insult the voters, degrade politics and expose those who stoop to them as unworthy of high office," Kyl said in the statement.
Baker said that the Quayle campaign "should get their minds out of the gutter, but we're not surprised they would think that way. He's more experienced in more risque stuff than we are," apparently referring to a website that Quayle wrote for before he joined the legislature.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM