Will SFO Change to Harvey Milk International Airport?
BY Michelle Garcia
January 15 2013 1:15 PM ET
San Francisco supervisor David Campos is working to ensure visitors to his city will land in Harvey Milk International Airport.
The gay supervisor will introduce legislation Tuesday to change the name of San Francisco International Airport to honor the late city supervisor and LGBT rights icon Harvey Milk. Campos will need the support of five other supervisors to get the proposition on the city's ballot in November. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, there were already four other cosponsors, including out supervisor Scott Wiener, who represents the same area that Milk did in the 1970s.
SFO would become the first airport named after an openly gay person. Currently, about 80 of America's airports are named after famous people.
While it will cost an estimated $50,000-$250,000 to make the change official, Campos said there may be enough private donations to help cover the cost.
Stuart Milk, the nephew of the late supervisor, said this change will have "huge implications" for the 9 million visitors coming from countries around the world -- especially those from countries where LGBT citizens are oppressed.
"To be in Dubai, and see on the board a flight that ends at Harvey Milk San Francisco International Airport, or to be a young Pakistani, in a country where it is illegal to be gay, look up and see the name of a gay icon and feel, 'I am not alone,'" he said.
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 45 min 54 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 30 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 48 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 2 hours 1 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 2 hours 21 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 40 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 48 min ago