Pa. Reps to Propose Bill Banning 'Ex-Gay' Therapy for Youth
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 17 2013 3:59 PM ET
State representatives Brian Sims and Gerald Mullery have announced plans to introduce a bill that would ban the use of so-called ex-gay therapy on youth in Pennsylvania.
"Just last month, New Jersey's Republican governor and Democratic legislature worked together to ban this practice,” Sims said in a statement. “The governor there cited 'a litany of potential ill effects of trying to change sexual orientation, including depression and suicide.' California has also passed a similar law. Pennsylvania children deserve the same protection.”
The 35-year-old politician stressed that the legislation would provide legal protections for minors against the "quackery" and psychological harm caused by this practice.
He noted that it has been 40 years since homosexuality was declassified as a mental disorder and that several studies have indicated "that patients younger than 18 suffer from a multitude of harmful effects associated with this so-called therapy, including withdrawal and suicidal thoughts.”
“It's time to protect Pennsylvania children from this quackery that can inflict years of harm for those who manage to survive it,” Sims said.
Pennsylvania state senator Anthony Williams recently introduced a similar bill in his chamber of the legislature.
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 4 min 4 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM