WATCH: 'Homophobic Christian' Poses as Gay, Writes Book About It
BY Trudy Ring
June 16 2012 3:12 PM ET
Once a self-described homophobic Christian, Timothy Kurek says his year posing as a gay man taught him empathy and acceptance — and now he’s written a book about it.
Kurek spoke to MSNBC’s Thomas Roberts Thursday about his experiment, which began in 2009 after a woman friend told him about being disowned by her family after she came out as a lesbian. “Two words changed it all,” he told Roberts. “Two simple words. ‘I’m gay.’”
Kurek says he spent a year hanging out in gay bars and other venues in Nashville’s gay neighborhood. He also told his family he was gay, and they were supportive but struggled with their religious beliefs on the subject.
He admits he can’t really know what it’s like to be gay, but he wants to let LGBT people know he’s now on their side, he told Roberts. The book is his way of saying, “I don’t understand every detail of your life and your journey, but I would like to walk beside you in it from now on,” he said.
He is running a fund-raising campaign for his as yet untitled book, to be self-published in October, at IndieGoGo.com.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 16 min 48 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 1 hour 11 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 2 hours 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM