WATCH: 'Homophobic Christian' Poses as Gay, Writes Book About It
BY Trudy Ring
June 16 2012 3:12 PM ET
Once a self-described homophobic Christian, Timothy Kurek says his year posing as a gay man taught him empathy and acceptance — and now he’s written a book about it.
Kurek spoke to MSNBC’s Thomas Roberts Thursday about his experiment, which began in 2009 after a woman friend told him about being disowned by her family after she came out as a lesbian. “Two words changed it all,” he told Roberts. “Two simple words. ‘I’m gay.’”
Kurek says he spent a year hanging out in gay bars and other venues in Nashville’s gay neighborhood. He also told his family he was gay, and they were supportive but struggled with their religious beliefs on the subject.
He admits he can’t really know what it’s like to be gay, but he wants to let LGBT people know he’s now on their side, he told Roberts. The book is his way of saying, “I don’t understand every detail of your life and your journey, but I would like to walk beside you in it from now on,” he said.
He is running a fund-raising campaign for his as yet untitled book, to be self-published in October, at IndieGoGo.com.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 11 min 42 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 32 min 35 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 35 min 29 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 48 min 11 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 50 min 4 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 8 min ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 10 min ago