Mormons Plan Mass Resignation from Church
BY Lucas Grindley
June 29 2012 2:54 PM ET
A group of Mormons is planning a mass resignation from the church this weekend, according to a report from Reuters. And the church's antigay stance is surely playing a part.
Reuters says "several dozen" Mormons will gather in Salt Lake City Saturday and sign a "Declaration of Independence from Mormonism." But it also reports that more than 100 people have expressed interest to the organizers, John and Zilpha Larsen.
Reuters points out that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints claims more than 14 million members worldwide and that the Larsens say the numbers are inflated by people who no longer agree with its teachings but leave their names on the rolls to avoid consequences.
The Mormon Church has a long antigay history, but tensions were inflamed after it played a leadership role in funding and organizing an effort to pass Proposition 8 in California, banning same-sex marriage in that state.
Instead of leaving the church, a small movement within it is trying to change minds by staying. Mormons marched in gay pride parades in Salt Lake City and New York City this year. In New York, marchers held a sign proclaiming, "We love you. Sorry we're late."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM