Church Anthem Sends a Message of Acceptance to Minnesota
BY Lucas Grindley
August 17 2012 6:40 PM ET
When Minnesotans go to the polls in November to decide whether to ban same-sex marriage, LGBT activists are counting on strong support from religious communities. Minnesotans United for All Families has, for example, worked to build a coalition of inclusive congregations willing to stand up for marriage equality.
The latest show of religious support comes from Catholics for Marriage Equality in video of a church anthem, "For All the Children," which was first written in 2007 by Minnesota composer David Lohman. People of faith gathered at Calvary Lutheran Church in Minneapolis "to give voice to their faith, their hope and their conscience," an introduction to the video explains. But the lyrics and imagery perhaps best share their message of welcome:
"O, may our hearts and minds be opened,
fling the church doors open wide.
May there be room enough for everyone inside.
For in God there is a welcome,
in God we all belong;
may that welcome be our song."
Watch the video below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 42 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM