WATCH: Gay Mormon Student Says He'll Live 'Horrible,' Celibate Life
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 22 2013 7:24 PM ET
On Wednesday, Jimmy Lee Hales, a Mormon student at Brigham Young University, came out to the world in a big way — with a YouTube video that captured the honest reactions of Hales' family and friends as he told them for the first time that he is gay.
On Thursday, Hales appeared on Joy Behar's Current TV program, Say Anything!, to talk about how his sexuality coexists with his faith.
"The whole being celibate and openly gay thing doesn't sit well with a lot of people," Hales told Say Anything guest host Nancy Giles. "And frankly, I can't blame them."
Giles presses Hales on his gay-but-celibate future, asking if he's really OK with his fate.
"Yes," replies Hales tentatively. "I'm willing to endure this life. It's going to be horrible and it's going to suck. I'm going to be lonely, and no one wants that. But I believe in the end, it'll be worth it."
Watch the exchange below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM