WATCH: Gay Mormon Student Says He'll Live 'Horrible,' Celibate Life
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 22 2013 7:24 PM ET
On Wednesday, Jimmy Lee Hales, a Mormon student at Brigham Young University, came out to the world in a big way — with a YouTube video that captured the honest reactions of Hales' family and friends as he told them for the first time that he is gay.
On Thursday, Hales appeared on Joy Behar's Current TV program, Say Anything!, to talk about how his sexuality coexists with his faith.
"The whole being celibate and openly gay thing doesn't sit well with a lot of people," Hales told Say Anything guest host Nancy Giles. "And frankly, I can't blame them."
Giles presses Hales on his gay-but-celibate future, asking if he's really OK with his fate.
"Yes," replies Hales tentatively. "I'm willing to endure this life. It's going to be horrible and it's going to suck. I'm going to be lonely, and no one wants that. But I believe in the end, it'll be worth it."
Watch the exchange below.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Rising Above the Down Low
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM