Vatican Buys Property Including Europe's Biggest Gay Spa
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 2:36 PM ET
Vatican leaders recently purchased a block of property in Rome, that also happen to house Europe's biggest gay sauna.
According to The Independent, Cardinal Ivan Dias, the head of the Congregation for Evangelisation of Peoples lives in a 12-room apartment just yards from the entrance of Europa Multiclub. There are reportedly another 18 other Vatican apartments on that block, providing housing for priests.
Dias, known as the "prince of the church," is currently voting with more than 100 other Cardinals to name the next Pope. He is a social conservative, and has said in the past that gays and lesbians could be cured of homosexuality or "unnatural tendencies," as he put it, through prayer.
The properties, which were purchased for €23 million (or about US$30 million) were largely exempt from taxes under the Berlusconi government, and are considered part of the Holy City.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 15 min 43 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 48 min 19 sec ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 56 min 35 sec ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 1 hour 44 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM