Pope Francis Called Civil Unions 'Lesser of Two Evils'
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 6:07 PM ET
When Argentina was about to enact marriage equality in 2010, then-Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now Pope Francis, said the Roman Catholic Church would have preferred civil unions for same-sex couples as the "lesser of two evils."
Publicly, Bergoglio led the charge against the measure. Behind closed doors at a meeting with Argentina's bishops, Bergoglio argued that the marriage bill would certainly pass, so the church should try to compromise by endorsing civil unions instead, according to Pope Francis's authorized biographer, Sergio Rubin. The bishops overruled his idea, but Argentine gay activist Marcelo Márquez said Bergoglio handled the situation with respect.
"He listened to my views with a great deal of respect," he said, according to The New York Times. "He told me that homosexuals need to have recognized rights and that he supported civil unions, but not same-sex marriage."
Still, Esteban Paulón, president of the Argentine Federation of Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals, and Transsexuals, said that Pope Francis should not be deemed an LGBT ally.
"The reality, beyond what he may have said in private meetings, was that he said some terrible things in public," Paulón said. "He took a role, in public, that was determinedly combative."
Publicly, Bergoglio did call marriage equality a "destructive attack on God's plan." He also said adoption by gay and lesbian people is a form of discrimination against children.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 1 hour 51 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 2 hours 51 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM