Message to LGBT Mormons: Church Is Evolving
BY Trudy Ring
September 15 2013 12:58 PM ET
LGBT Mormons need to have faith and be patient as their church evolves to a more accepting stance, pro football great Steve Young and his wife, Barbara, told a conference of gay Mormons Saturday.
“More and more people are opening their hearts every day,” Barbara Young said at the 2013 International Affirmation Conference at the University of Utah, The Salt Lake Tribune reports. “You are teaching them about [gays] and Jesus and that his love is infinite.”
Steve Young, a former San Francisco 49ers quarterback and a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, said he seeks, “to build bridges with my gay brothers and sisters. We need to see each other as Jesus sees us.”
The Youngs are both Mormons — Steve Young is a direct descendant of early church leader Brigham Young, and his wife is a convert. California residents, they made news in 2008 for opposing Proposition 8, the state constitutional amendment that ended marriage equality in California for a time; it was recently nullified by a U.S. Supreme Court ruling. Barbara Young has a gay brother.
She told conference attendees, “One of the most beautiful things about this church is that it can evolve. It may not go as fast as everyone wants, but it is evolving.” She urged them to be “patient like Jesus,” adding, “If we consciously embrace Jesus’ teaching of empathy, compassionate, and love, the future world will be different.”
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM