Mennonites Prepare to Ordain First Openly Gay Minister
BY Michael O'Loughlin
February 03 2014 5:02 PM ET
A group of Mennonites in Colorado has put forward an openly gay candidate for ordained ministry. If confirmed, Theda Good would be the first openly LGBT minister ordained by the Mennonite Church.
Theda Good is on staff at the First Mennonite Church of Denver, where she was licensed as "pastor of nurture and fellowship," according to Religion News Service. Good's ordination must be approved by the Mountain States Conference of Mennonites, which is part of the Mennonite Church USA, the collective body of regional Mennonite communities.
Mennonite Church USA believes "that God intends marriage to be a covenant between one man and one woman for life" and prohibits its clergy from blessing same-sex unions.
In 2007, Rev. Joanna Harader, a Mennonite minister, celebrated a wedding for two women, writing that it was an "honor" to "to bear witness to the love these women had for each other." The Western District of Mennonites considered revoking Harader's clergy credentials, but ultimately relented.
Harader told Lancaster Online that "Theda's ordination is another step towards a more affirming position."
Mennonites are a Christian denomination that trace their roots back to the Reformation in the 1500s. Belief and practices vary widely among different faith communities, but, according to the Mennonite church's website, "following Jesus in daily life is a central value, along with peacemaking." They share historical roots with the Amish, and there are an estimated one million members worldwide.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 46 min 21 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 47 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM