Imaging the Lives of Queer Muslims
BY Michael O'Loughlin
July 16 2014 4:42 AM ET
Samra Habib of Toronto has launched a Tumblr, “Just me and Allah”, to capture the lives of LGBT Muslims.
“I wanted to show everyone the creative and brilliant LGBTQ Muslims I identified with the most and would hang out with at art shows, queer dance parties and Jumu’ah prayer. So I picked up my camera and decided to photograph what I was witnessing,” Habib wrote on the Tumblr.
Habib wrote that the photos have sparked an global online conversation.
“The most rewarding thing about this photography project is getting emails from LGBTQ Muslims from around the world who are finding out about the exhibitions via this Tumblr,” Habib wrote.
The photos will be part of several exhibits in Toronto this summer.
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion