Imaging the Lives of Queer Muslims
BY Michael O'Loughlin
July 16 2014 4:42 AM ET
Samra Habib of Toronto has launched a Tumblr, “Just me and Allah”, to capture the lives of LGBT Muslims.
“I wanted to show everyone the creative and brilliant LGBTQ Muslims I identified with the most and would hang out with at art shows, queer dance parties and Jumu’ah prayer. So I picked up my camera and decided to photograph what I was witnessing,” Habib wrote on the Tumblr.
Habib wrote that the photos have sparked an global online conversation.
“The most rewarding thing about this photography project is getting emails from LGBTQ Muslims from around the world who are finding out about the exhibitions via this Tumblr,” Habib wrote.
The photos will be part of several exhibits in Toronto this summer.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- Ellen DeGeneres and Gap Launch New Clothing Line for Girls That Challenges Stereotypes
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Behind the Scenes of Stonewall