Justin Timberlake Writes Public Letter Apologizing for Wedding Video
BY Lucas Grindley
October 28 2012 10:09 AM ET
Justin Timberlake issued a public apology for a video that seemed to mock homeless and transgender people and that was said to have been played during his wedding — while clearing up a few facts.
First, the video was never shown during his wedding, he said, and neither he nor new wife Jessica Biel knew anything about the video. "I had no knowledge of its existence," Timberlake wrote in an open letter online. "I had absolutely ZERO contribution to it."
Timberlake didn't defend the video, but did defend the friends who made it, he said, with good intentions.
"My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment," he wrote, then apologized. "I want to say that, on behalf of my friends, family, and associative knuckleheads, I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by the video."
He said the video was actually made to mock him, not the people it included. The video shows homeless and transgender people on the streets of Los Angeles offering their best wishes and apologizing for not being able to make it to the wedding, which was held at the Borgo Egnazia resort in Puglia, Italy. "I think it was made as a joke on me not having that many friends attending my own wedding," wrote Timberlake.
Timberlake said the video is "not who I am as a professional or as a man," and he kidded that his friend will be sentenced to "at least 100 hours of community service."
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM