Justin Timberlake Writes Public Letter Apologizing for Wedding Video
BY Lucas Grindley
October 28 2012 10:09 AM ET
Justin Timberlake issued a public apology for a video that seemed to mock homeless and transgender people and that was said to have been played during his wedding — while clearing up a few facts.
First, the video was never shown during his wedding, he said, and neither he nor new wife Jessica Biel knew anything about the video. "I had no knowledge of its existence," Timberlake wrote in an open letter online. "I had absolutely ZERO contribution to it."
Timberlake didn't defend the video, but did defend the friends who made it, he said, with good intentions.
"My friends are good people. This was clearly a lapse in judgment," he wrote, then apologized. "I want to say that, on behalf of my friends, family, and associative knuckleheads, I am deeply sorry to anyone who was offended by the video."
He said the video was actually made to mock him, not the people it included. The video shows homeless and transgender people on the streets of Los Angeles offering their best wishes and apologizing for not being able to make it to the wedding, which was held at the Borgo Egnazia resort in Puglia, Italy. "I think it was made as a joke on me not having that many friends attending my own wedding," wrote Timberlake.
Timberlake said the video is "not who I am as a professional or as a man," and he kidded that his friend will be sentenced to "at least 100 hours of community service."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 2 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 37 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM