Fallon Fox, MMA's First Trans Fighter, Wins First Match
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 26 2013 2:38 PM ET
Fallon Fox, the first openly transgender woman to complete in professional Mixed Martial Arts, on Friday won her first match since coming out as trans in March, reports OutSports.
In a Championship Fighting Alliance 11 bout in Florida, Fox squared off against Allanna Jones, who entered the ring accompanied by Aerosmith's song "Dude Looks Like a Lady." Fox's entrance was met with a chorus of boos, reports OutSports's Cyd Zeigler.
Nevertheless, Fox prevailed, winning each individual round, and securing her victory in the third round with a powerful knee-to-the-throat move. Fox will next face Ashlee Evans-Smith in a June championship match, where the prize will be $20,000.
Whether Fox should be allowed to compete against other women has been a topic of controversy in the sport ever since she revealed in March that she had undergone gender-reassignment surgery in 2006. The issue has “divided athletes, promoters, medical professionals and fans, some of whom argued if the 37-year-old Fox should be allowed to compete again at all,” reports Sports Illustrated. However, the Florida State Boxing Commission has licensed her under its existing policies, while sports authorities consider additional guidelines regarding transgender athletes.
Fox has been the subject of transphobic remarks from other MMA and Ultimate Fighting Championship fighters, though the UFC commendably responded swiftly and harshly to such bigotry, suspending a male fighter who repeatedly misgendered her, and called Fox a "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak."
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM