Fallon Fox, MMA's First Trans Fighter, Wins First Match
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 26 2013 2:38 PM ET
Fallon Fox, the first openly transgender woman to complete in professional Mixed Martial Arts, on Friday won her first match since coming out as trans in March, reports OutSports.
In a Championship Fighting Alliance 11 bout in Florida, Fox squared off against Allanna Jones, who entered the ring accompanied by Aerosmith's song "Dude Looks Like a Lady." Fox's entrance was met with a chorus of boos, reports OutSports's Cyd Zeigler.
Nevertheless, Fox prevailed, winning each individual round, and securing her victory in the third round with a powerful knee-to-the-throat move. Fox will next face Ashlee Evans-Smith in a June championship match, where the prize will be $20,000.
Whether Fox should be allowed to compete against other women has been a topic of controversy in the sport ever since she revealed in March that she had undergone gender-reassignment surgery in 2006. The issue has “divided athletes, promoters, medical professionals and fans, some of whom argued if the 37-year-old Fox should be allowed to compete again at all,” reports Sports Illustrated. However, the Florida State Boxing Commission has licensed her under its existing policies, while sports authorities consider additional guidelines regarding transgender athletes.
Fox has been the subject of transphobic remarks from other MMA and Ultimate Fighting Championship fighters, though the UFC commendably responded swiftly and harshly to such bigotry, suspending a male fighter who repeatedly misgendered her, and called Fox a "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak."
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 2 hours 19 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM