AP and NYT Will Refer to Manning as 'Chelsea'
BY Jase Peeples
August 27 2013 4:17 PM ET
One week after the former Army intelligence analyst who was sentenced to 35 years in military prison for leaking classified government documents to the website WikiLeaks revealed she is a transgender woman, some key mainstream media companies have announced they will now refer to Chelsea Manning as female, reports Politico.
The Times’ senior editor for standards, Greg Brock, told Politico Monday, “Our deputy editor in charge of copy desks has sent out a message to let folks here know we will make the change.”
The Associated Press also announced it would follow suit in a memo sent to AP member editors and other subscribers. “The Associated Press will henceforth use Pvt. Chelsea E. Manning and female pronouns for the soldier formerly known as Bradley Manning, in accordance with her wishes to live as a woman,” reads the memo. “The use of the first name Chelsea and feminine pronouns in Manning’s case is in conformity with the transgender guidance in the AP Stylebook. The guidance calls for using the pronoun preferred by the individuals who have acquired the physical characteristics of the opposite sex or present themselves in a way that does not correspond with their sex at birth.”
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 14 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 37 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 45 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 53 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 55 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 4 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 50 min ago