Richard Blanco, Gay Latino, Named Inaugural Poet
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 09 2013 12:58 PM ET
The Presidential Inaugural Committee today announced Richard Blanco, a Latino gay man and immigrant as the inaugural poet for the president's swearing-in January 21. Blanco will be the youngest-ever inaugural poet, the first Latino, and the first LGBT person to read a poem at the inauguration, according to the committee's announcement.
Blanco, who lives in Maine with his partner, told The New York Times he has long identified with numerous aspects of President Obama's journey to prominence.
"Since the beginning of the campaign, I totally related to his life story and the way he speaks of his family, and of course his multicultural background," Blanco, who was born to Cuban parents in Spain, then raised and educated in Miami, told the Times. "There has always been a spiritual connection in that sense. I feel in some ways that when I'm writing about my family, I'm writing about him."
Blanco, 44, will compose an original poem to read at the inauguration ceremony January 21, the day after the president takes the oath of office as required by the Constitution. Blanco will be the nation's fifth inaugural poet, reports the Times; others include Robert Frost and Maya Angelou.
Obama's inaugural celebration will also include performances by Beyoncé, who will sing the national anthem; Kelly Clarkson, who will sing "My Country 'Tis of Thee"; and James Taylor, who will perform "America The Beautiful," according to the Associated Press.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 25 min ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 33 min 11 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 36 min 48 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 52 min 2 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 1 hour 59 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM