Tyler Clementi's Family Wants Apology from NOM
BY Neal Broverman
March 04 2013 4:53 PM ET
A representative of the antigay National Organization for Marriage invoked the name of Tyler Clementi, a New Jersey college student who committed suicide after being outed by his roommate, and the young man's family is furious.
NOM's Jennifer Morse was speaking at Iowa State University a few weeks ago and implied that Clementi ended his life because he had to much access to other LGBT people.
"There are a lot of situations where people are doing something sexual that's probably not the best thing for them," he said. Morse used Clementi as an emample of LGBT youth who she claimed are, "...getting help and support from the gay activists who have their own thing that they're doing which is not necessarily to help the individuals but they've got some sort of political vision."
Clementi's parents, joined by GLAAD, HRC, and Equality Matters, are furious and demanding an apology.
"To exploit our late son's name to advance an anti-equality agenda is offensive and wrong," Joe and Jane Clementi wrote in a statement. "By doing so, [NOM] proves[s] that not only is there no low they will not sink to to advance their cruel agenda, but that neither they nor Ms. Morse have any grip on reality. The very idea that Tyler's tragedy happened because of too much support, instead of not enough, is ludicrous. Shame on them."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM