PSA Shines Spotlight on Violence Against Russian LGBTs
BY Daniel Reynolds
November 21 2013 8:28 PM ET
An organization had released a stirring public service announcement that conveys the reality of the violence faced by LGBTs Russians.
Titled "The Scream," the video reenacts a scene from a real-life media image, in which a photographer stands by to record a man being assaulted. "To you they are just pictures," the concluding text reads. "For them, it's real life."
(We are) #GayPropaganda, the group that released the first of three planned PSAs, is raising awareness of Russia's antigay politics and culture through YouTube videos and other social media outlets. Its leaders are encouraging LGBT people and their allies worldwide to implement their own social networks to do the same.
“We are proud to release our first of three media pieces in an effort to humanize and more clearly illustrate the escalating violence against LGBT people in Russia,” says Kevin Dolan, cofounder of the organization. “Social media has given us a platform to communicate who we are and what we believe. Our presence and the use of '#GayPropaganda' seeks to reclaim this term by unifying the conversations in order to provide education, support, and empowerment to LGBT people and their allies with an unshakable belief in the power of community.”
Watch the video below.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- President Obama Has Not Called for LGBT National Holiday
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed