PSA Shines Spotlight on Violence Against Russian LGBTs
BY Daniel Reynolds
November 21 2013 8:28 PM ET
An organization had released a stirring public service announcement that conveys the reality of the violence faced by LGBTs Russians.
Titled "The Scream," the video reenacts a scene from a real-life media image, in which a photographer stands by to record a man being assaulted. "To you they are just pictures," the concluding text reads. "For them, it's real life."
(We are) #GayPropaganda, the group that released the first of three planned PSAs, is raising awareness of Russia's antigay politics and culture through YouTube videos and other social media outlets. Its leaders are encouraging LGBT people and their allies worldwide to implement their own social networks to do the same.
“We are proud to release our first of three media pieces in an effort to humanize and more clearly illustrate the escalating violence against LGBT people in Russia,” says Kevin Dolan, cofounder of the organization. “Social media has given us a platform to communicate who we are and what we believe. Our presence and the use of '#GayPropaganda' seeks to reclaim this term by unifying the conversations in order to provide education, support, and empowerment to LGBT people and their allies with an unshakable belief in the power of community.”
Watch the video below.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM