Dear Son, We Love You
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 14 2011 3:50 PM ET
Patrick Wallace and Michael Volpat started the website A Note to My Kid as a place for parents to proudly share memories, thoughts, worries, and — ultimately — love for their LGBT children.
The site, which launched in May, is also as a means of supporting youth who
are pondering ways to come out to their parents.
“The love and support of our parents has been a treasured blessing in our lives,” says Wallace. “But many people we’ve been fortunate enough to meet throughout our lives have not been so lucky. We’ve heard stories firsthand of LGBT youth being ridiculed, disowned. and physically beaten for being gay.”
Wallace wants A Note to My Kid to help parents learn “how to express his or her love.” Read some of the most compelling submissions to the site on the following pages.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Nebraska Woman Is Suing All 'Homosexuals' on Behalf of God