Dear Son, We Love You
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 14 2011 2:50 PM ET
Patrick Wallace and Michael Volpat started the website A Note to My Kid as a place for parents to proudly share memories, thoughts, worries, and — ultimately — love for their LGBT children.
The site, which launched in May, is also as a means of supporting youth who
are pondering ways to come out to their parents.
“The love and support of our parents has been a treasured blessing in our lives,” says Wallace. “But many people we’ve been fortunate enough to meet throughout our lives have not been so lucky. We’ve heard stories firsthand of LGBT youth being ridiculed, disowned. and physically beaten for being gay.”
Wallace wants A Note to My Kid to help parents learn “how to express his or her love.” Read some of the most compelling submissions to the site on the following pages.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 2 hours 4 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 2 hours 35 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM