Man's Will Disinherits Grandson Unless Gay Son Marries Woman
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 19 2012 4:26 PM ET
When Frank Mandelbaum died he left a trust worth $180,000 for his grandchildren but his will stipulates that the child of his gay son Robert will only receive his inheritance if Robert is married to a woman, reports New York Post.
Mandelbaum, founder of ID verification company Intelli-Check, died in 2007 and his will contains an edict that none of the trust fund set up for his grandchildren will go to any offspring his son Robert might have if he “not be married to the child’s mother within six months of the child’s birth.”
Robert Mandelbaum is a Manhattan Criminal Court Judge, and is arguing in a court battle that his longtime partner Jonathan O’Donnell is the only “mother” their 16-month-old son, Cooper, knows.
A law guardian appointed to look out for Cooper’s interests states that there are “significant public policy reasons” for ignoring the dictate of Robert's late father.
“Requiring a gay man to marry a woman...to ensure his child’s bequest is tantamount to expecting him either to live in celibacy, or to engage in extramarital activity with another man, and is therefore contrary to public policy,” writes attorney Anne Bederka in court papers. “There is no doubt that what [Frank Mandelbaum] has sought to do is induce Robert to marry a woman.”
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM