Chicago Cop Fired Over Work as Bar Bouncer, 'Lube Wrestler'
BY Trudy Ring
November 20 2012 8:48 PM ET
A gay Chicago police officer has been fired for moonlighting as a bouncer and “lube wrestling” participant in nightclubs — and he’s planning to sue the city in hopes of being reinstated to the force.
Jonathan Maynard was on convalescent-duty status, recovering from injuries, when he worked at two gay clubs, Hydrate Nightclub Chicago and Halsted’s Bar and Grill, between June 2008 and October 2009, as a substitute bouncer, and when he took part in a “lube wrestling” event at Hydrate in November 2007, the Chicago Sun-Times reports. He broke department rules against working in a liquor establishment, and working at all, while on his leave, the Chicago Police Board decided last month. He was a “flagrant abuser” of departmental policies, the board ruled.
Maynard, however, told the Sun-Times this week that officers with “much more serious” infractions have been allowed to keep their jobs. “I have been singled out,” he said. He also said he has been harassed by fellow cops for being gay.
He said his work at the clubs was unpaid, a favor to management. One executive of the clubs, Maynard’s former boyfriend, presented records to the police board indicating he had been paid, but Maynard said his ex has a grudge against him and falsified the records. He also claimed a witness who videotaped the wrestling has an “ax to grind,” arising from a landlord-tenant dispute in a building owned by Maynard’s grandmother.
Maynard, 34, has been on the police force for 11 years. He plans to file suit to get his job back, he told the newspaper.
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM