PHOTOS: Hanging Out at the GLAAD Awards
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 17 2013 2:04 PM ET
The 26th Annual GLAAD Media Awards took place Saturday night at the New York Mariott Marquis, and was hosted by Good Morning America's Sam Champion, Josh Elliot, and Lara Spencer. Madonna, Bernadette Peters, Dan Stevens, Russell Simmons, Milla Jovovich, Jake Shears, Chris Kluwe and Brendon Ayanbadejo were among the special guests.
The Advocate and its sibling publication, Out, both owned by Here Media, took home the award for Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage. AIDS documentary How to Survive a Plague earned an award for Outstanding Documentary, and NBC's Smash was awarded Outstanding Drama. See a full list of the winners here.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives, according to the organization's website. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released, or broadcast between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012. Additional award recipients will be announced in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott, and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco — Union Square.
Anderson Cooper accepted his fourth Vito Russo Award from Madonna, saying "I've had so many blessings in my life, and being gay is certainly one of the greatest blessings. It has allowed me to love and to be loved and to help open my head and my heart in ways I could never have predicted. The ability to love one another, the ability to love another person is, in my opinion, one of God's greatest gifts, and I thank God every day for enabling me to give and share love with the people in my life — my family, and my friends, and my partner Benjamin. Thank you very much, and thank you for being here."
Watch Cooper's speech, via GLAAD, below:
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 57 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 57 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM