Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
6. Using Sex Discrimination Laws to Protect Trans People
While laws the Employment Nondiscrimination Act are still badly needed, we are making strides in achieving protections for trans people in jobs, housing, and schools on the basis of existing laws prohibiting sex discrimination. Federal agencies that enforce these laws are increasingly pursuing complaints from transgender people and providing redress for some. A "hugely important" ruling from a usually conservative federal appeals court in Atlanta advanced this trend, ruling in favor of Vandy Beth Glenn, a transgender woman fired from her job because of her gender transition.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination