Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
6. Using Sex Discrimination Laws to Protect Trans People
While laws the Employment Nondiscrimination Act are still badly needed, we are making strides in achieving protections for trans people in jobs, housing, and schools on the basis of existing laws prohibiting sex discrimination. Federal agencies that enforce these laws are increasingly pursuing complaints from transgender people and providing redress for some. A "hugely important" ruling from a usually conservative federal appeals court in Atlanta advanced this trend, ruling in favor of Vandy Beth Glenn, a transgender woman fired from her job because of her gender transition.
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Leslie Jordan: I Threw 'Sweet Iced Tea, Not Coffee' in Starbucks Fight
- Texas Rep.: Strand Gays on an Island, See What Happens