Utah: Vigil Being Held to Honor Memory of Gay Teen
BY Josh Hinkle
April 28 2012 1:05 PM ET
As Alex Smith spoke Monday to the community of Ogden, Utah, about the bullying his boyfriend had undergone, he nor the audience had any idea that the boyfriend, Jack Reese, had taken his own life.
No details of his death have been released, but the local chapter of Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays are preparing a gathering to honor the life of Reese and those like him in northern Utah. "The local chapter of PFLAG along with a broader caring group of adults have been working together tirelessly to address issues of the importance of family acceptance to the youth in this community and similar communities all over the state," Liz Owen, director of communications for PFLAG National says in a press release. "Sadly, the death of Jack Reese is a reminder that there is still much work to be done."
"A Community Stands up -Northern Utah Addresses LGBT Bullying and Suicide" is being hosted by OUTreach at the Ogden Amphitheater on May 1. The event will feature speakers from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "It is time for local schools to incorporate proven techniques for eliminating bullying and homophobia, for churches to preach love and acceptance, and for parents and families to love and accept their children. Each loss of life is a loss for all of us, and it must stop now," OUTreach executive director Marian Edmonds says in the release.
At the request of Smith, Reese's boyfriend, a candlelight vigil in memory of Reese will close the event.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 9 min 58 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 51 min 24 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 56 min 34 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 14 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 53 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM