Ten Camp Staffers Quit in Sympathy With Fired Gay Scout
BY Trudy Ring
July 25 2012 7:00 PM ET
Ten employees at a Boy Scout camp in Northern California have quit in outrage over the firing of a gay staffer.
Tim Griffin, 22, an Eagle Scout and seasonal staff member at Camp Winton in Amador County, was let go Friday, and 10 of the camp’s 30 employees resigned in support, The Sacramento Bee reports.
Officials with the Golden Empire Council of the Boy Scouts of America say Griffin was fired not because he is gay, but because violated dress codes by wearing nail polish and an earring, for which he received repeated warnings. His supporters, however, say Griffin’s homosexuality was clearly the reason for his dismissal.
“It was absolutely about his sexual orientation, no question about it,” said Graham Littlejohn, one of the staffers who quit.
Griffin was the longest-serving employee at the camp, having worked there every summer since 2004. He told the Bee he believes the national BSA’s recent decision to reaffirm its policy barring gay scouts and leaders definitely played a role in his firing. He said he is weighing his options for legal action.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 44 min 54 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 45 min 23 sec ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 45 min 37 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM