Family Sues School Over Bullying Victim's Suicide
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 08 2012 6:14 PM ET
The mother of William "Billy" Lucas, a 15-year-old boy who committed suicide in 2010 after being bullied, is suing the school he attended for not protecting him and possibly even contributing to his harassment, reports Think Progress.
Indianapolis Attorney Tom Blessing has filed a wrongful death lawsuit which claims Lucas was a target of bullying because he suffered from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), his ethnicity, and because some classmates thought he was gay.
Lucas was found dead in his family's barn September 9, 2010, after committing suicide.
Greensburg Community Junior High School's Principal Rodney King, Assistant Principal David Strouse and school employees Iris Ramp and Darci Kovacic hare directly implicated in the suit.
The suit states, "King and Strouse had actual knowledge that [Lucas] was being harassed but turned a blind eye to the harassment. At one point King told W.L., 'If someone beat you up, I wouldn’t know whether to give him an award or suspend him.' [...] Ramp and Kovacich witnessed students harassing and bullying W.L. on multiple occasions yet did nothing to prevent or stop it. In fact, Ramp and Kovacich not only ignored the harassment of W.L. by other students at the School, but in some cases encouraged and even actively participated in the harassment of W.L. themselves. Ramp and Kovacich verbally insulted, ridiculed, and abused W.L. in front of his peers on multiple occasions."
Lucas's mother isn't the first parent to sue a school for not protecting a student. In April Darnell “Dynasty” Young, a 17-year-old high school student, who identifies as gay, was expelled after using a stun gun to fend off bullies. His family says they reported the harrassment several times to school officials who blamed Young for being "too flamboyant." Earlier this month Young and his mother filed a federal lawsuit against Indianapolis Public Schools.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out, Cops Offer Reward
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 10 min 10 sec ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 25 min 40 sec ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 29 min 41 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Florida Group Aims to Build Marriage Equality Support 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women WATCH: The L Word's Kate Moennig in Ray Donovan Series Premiere 1 hour 28 min ago
- Crime Man Pleads Not Guilty to West Village Murder 1 hour 37 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Trans Woman Attacked in Hollywood Hate Crime Speaks Out 1 hour 51 min ago