Bullying Drives Student to Suicide
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 14 2010 9:10 AM ET
Billy Lucas, a 15-year-old high school freshman from Greensburg, Ind., took his own life Thursday following a period of antigay bullying from classmates that went unaddressed.
Lucas was found dead inside his family’s barn Thursday, where he had killed himself.
According to WHTR, Greensburg High School principal Phil Chappel said that officials were unaware of bullying against Lucas, but friends said the abuse was constant, and often directed to what the aggressors presumed about his sexual orientation.
"Some people at school called him names," student Nick Hughes told WHTR, adding that most of the names questioned Lucas's sexual orientation. The young man was unable to fight back.
WHTR reports that Greensburg High School administrators have considered the formation of a committee on bullying issues in the wake of the tragedy.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 26 min 51 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 43 min 56 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 52 min 28 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 17 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 53 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 57 min ago