Bullied Gay Student Files Suit Against Indianapolis Public Schools
BY Julie Bolcer
September 03 2012 12:06 PM ET
A gay high school student who was expelled after using a stun gun to fend off bullies has filed a federal lawsuit against Indianapolis Public Schools.
WIBC reports on the suit filed by Darnell “Dynasty” Young, 17, and his mother, Chelsea Grimes. The family says they reported the harassment several times to officials at Arsenal Technical High School, but administrators blamed Young for being “too flamboyant.”
“The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis Friday accuses IPS of violating Young's civil rights and also of violating his First Amendment right to free expression for trying to get him to dress differently at school,” reports the station.
Young fired the stun gun in April after six students threatened him, he said. His mother gave him the device. No students have been punished for the bullying because school officials say Young could not identify the culprits.
The lawsuit also names the school board, Superintendent Eugene White, and the principal and assistant principal of Arsenal Tech, according to Indiana Public Media.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 2 hours 10 min ago
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM