Bullied Gay Student Files Suit Against Indianapolis Public Schools
BY Julie Bolcer
September 03 2012 11:06 AM ET
A gay high school student who was expelled after using a stun gun to fend off bullies has filed a federal lawsuit against Indianapolis Public Schools.
WIBC reports on the suit filed by Darnell “Dynasty” Young, 17, and his mother, Chelsea Grimes. The family says they reported the harassment several times to officials at Arsenal Technical High School, but administrators blamed Young for being “too flamboyant.”
“The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis Friday accuses IPS of violating Young's civil rights and also of violating his First Amendment right to free expression for trying to get him to dress differently at school,” reports the station.
Young fired the stun gun in April after six students threatened him, he said. His mother gave him the device. No students have been punished for the bullying because school officials say Young could not identify the culprits.
The lawsuit also names the school board, Superintendent Eugene White, and the principal and assistant principal of Arsenal Tech, according to Indiana Public Media.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 26 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM