Bullied Gay Student Files Suit Against Indianapolis Public Schools
BY Julie Bolcer
September 03 2012 12:06 PM ET
A gay high school student who was expelled after using a stun gun to fend off bullies has filed a federal lawsuit against Indianapolis Public Schools.
WIBC reports on the suit filed by Darnell “Dynasty” Young, 17, and his mother, Chelsea Grimes. The family says they reported the harassment several times to officials at Arsenal Technical High School, but administrators blamed Young for being “too flamboyant.”
“The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis Friday accuses IPS of violating Young's civil rights and also of violating his First Amendment right to free expression for trying to get him to dress differently at school,” reports the station.
Young fired the stun gun in April after six students threatened him, he said. His mother gave him the device. No students have been punished for the bullying because school officials say Young could not identify the culprits.
The lawsuit also names the school board, Superintendent Eugene White, and the principal and assistant principal of Arsenal Tech, according to Indiana Public Media.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 34 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM