Malaysia Seminars Aim to Help Teachers Spot Gay Kids
BY Trudy Ring
September 15 2012 1:14 PM ET
In Malaysia, teachers and parents are attending government-sponsored seminars designed to help them detect gay tendencies in children — and not to promote acceptance.
The seminars indicate “a rise in religious conservatism in the country,” Reuters reports. Materials distributed at the sessions warn that “preferences for tight, light-colored clothes and large handbags” are signs in homosexuality in boys, and that girls who prefer the company of other females may be lesbians.
Malaysia is a majority Muslim country, but an official with the Teachers Foundation of Malaysia, which runs the seminars, said they are “multireligious and multicultural, after all, all religions are basically against that type of behavior.” Ten such events have been held to date, with 1,500 people attending the most recent one, held Wednesday. It was led by Deputy Education Minister Puad Zarkashi, who has expressed concern about children learning tolerance of gays from their peers, Reuters reports.
In March the federal government announced it was taking steps to address the “problem” of homosexuality. Last year one state set up a camp for “effeminate” boys to teach them how to become more masculine.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Hot Sheet: Too Much Is Never Enough
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM