Lawsuit Filed Over Unnecessary Surgery on Intersex Baby
BY Michelle Garcia
May 14 2013 1:20 PM ET
A South Carolina hospital is being sued for performing an irreversible and medically unnecessary surgery on a baby, reportedly aiming to change the child's intersex genitalia, the child's attorneys claim.
The 16-month-old child, identified as M.C., was born with an intersex condition, where the child's reproductive or sexual anatomy does not fit typical male or female classification. Most children with these conditions eventually develop as male or female, but M.C.'s phallus was removed in an attempt to make the child a girl, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center and Advocates for Informed Choice.
M.C., now age 8, has shown signs of developing a male gender and identifies as a boy.
The SPLC, Advocates for Informed Choice, and pro bono counsel for the private law firms of Janet, Jenner & Suggs and Steptoe & Johnson LLP filed a lawsuit Tuesday on the child's behalf against the South Carolina Department of Social Services, Greenville Hospital System, Medical University of South Carolina and individual employees involved with the surgery.
At the time of the surgery, M.C. was under the state's care but living with guardians. The lawsuit charges that the doctors performed medical malpractice by failing to provide adequate information before proceeding with the surgery. M.C.'s guardians reportedly were not made aware of the significant risks of the surgery or the alternative of not having surgery at all. Currently, doctors and advocates recommend that intersex children be assigned a gender at birth, but are encouraged to hold off on any unnecessary surgery until they are old enough to self-identify with a gender.
“God made M.C. the way he is, but with one unnecessary surgery, the state of South Carolina irreparably injured him,” said Anne Tamar-Mattis, executive director of Advocates for Informed Choice. “The state made a decision that robbed him of his freedom to decide what should happen to his own body. Sadly, no one advocated for M.C.’s rights when this decision was made. It is time the state and all those involved be held accountable.”
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage 43 min 3 sec ago
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual 52 min 20 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? 1 hour 56 min ago
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! 2 hours 49 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 4:07 PM