Vancouver Canucks Welcome Trans Goalie Onto Ice for His Sweet 16
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 31 2013 6:05 PM ET
The Vancouver Canucks invited a 16-year-old transgender goalie to take the ice alongside NHL goaltender Cory Schneider at the Canucks' January 23 game against the Calgary Flames, reports OutSports. The date also happened to be the teenager's 16th birthday.
Cory Oskam, a 10th-grader and transgender man who has been on hormone blockers since age 9, usually plays goalie for his Brittania Secondary School. Last week Oskam was invited onto the ice alongside the professional goalie for the rendition of the national anthem, "Oh, Canada," as part of Minor Hockey Week at Vancouver's Rogers Arena.
A die-hard fan, Oskam told the Canucks he chose his first name as an homage to team's goalie, Schneider.
“I’m a really big card collector, I was collecting all kinds of cards and my mom said to pick my favourite and collect him," Oskam told the Canucks. "I opened a pack of cards and pulled a really sick Cory Schneider card. It just clicked; I needed to start collecting him. Around the time I started collecting Schneider, it was time to pick a name. I went through a handful: Will, William, Matt, Matthew, none of them really felt right, then my mom suggested Cory and I started using it around the house. It felt very right. Cory felt very right."
The Canucks have a long record of being LGBT-friendly, according to OutSports, and published a lengthy article about Oskam's inclusion on the team's official website.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM